Water jet is a technology that uses high pressure water to cut through soft or hard materials. In water jet cutting, workpieces are separated from each other by a high-pressure water jet. For this purpose, either specially treated water or an abrasive agent is used.
WATER JET CUTTING MACHINE:
A water jet cutting machine consists of the following main components, which can be combined in different ways:
- Guiding machine (CNC-controlled)
- High-pressure piping
- Oil tank and oil pump
- Pressure intensifier
- Electric motor
- Water treatment for desalting and filtering
- Nozzle with diameter between 0.1 and 0.5 mm and valve
WHAT MATERIALS CAN A WATERJET CUT?
Waterjet is the most versatile process, because it is able to cut almost any type of material. Limitations include materials that are highly brittle, such as tempered glass and some ceramics.
In previous days, waterjet technique of low pressure was used to cut soft materials but now, the modern waterjet machines use garnet abrasive, which are capable of cutting hard materials like steel, stone, and glass. These are some materials which can be cut by utilizing waterjet technologies:
- Waterjet metal cutting is very common now, waterjet machines cut all types of metals, hardened tool steel, aluminum, titanium, and a host of exotic metals that prove difficult to cut with other tools or processes.
- Glass, stone, or wood, waterjets have the capability to fabricate with nearly any material under the sun.
- Abrasive waterjet has major advantages when cutting carbon fiber. No need to change tooling. No special considerations or restrictions due to heat buildup. No melting. No hazardous fumes requiring costly air handling equipment.
- The material distortions associated with machining plastic on conventional CNC machines no longer comes into play when using the cold cutting method of a waterjet. The ability to easily machine foam, rubber, and acrylic as well as all the previously listed materials gives waterjets an edge as a multi-use value-add tool. The versatility of a waterjet is what makes it so essential to any machine shop.
Throughout the history of Waterjet cutting, technology has evolved, became more reliable, more accurate, and much faster. If you are looking for a reliable waterjet cutting for your next project in UAE, you can easily find it on internet. There are a number of fabrication companies in Dubai that offer waterjet cutting.